View Single Post
Old September 10, 2001, 12:44 AM   #18
Grapeshot

Just my opinion, but I'd watch this kind of talk, expecially if I were at a range ...

If I were conversing with some guy about caliber choice and he uses this "why don't ya go downrange and let me shoot at ya if the 9mm is so wimpy" argument, I think I'd seriously consider just beating the ever-loving crap out of him, right there, right then. For a variety of reasons.

First of all, only a blooming idiot would joke about shooting another human being in a non-self-defense situation. Not only does it make you sound downright anti-social, it's a flip, irresponsible attitude like this that causes accidental shootings and makes us sound like a bunch of knuckle-draggers to the non-shooting public.

Secondly, I would find it personally offensive that someone would consider shooting me, regardless of their intent. I'd take it as a veilled threat, so some others might be a little creeped out by it as well.

Thirdly, the argument itself just doesn't make much sense. No, I wouldn't particularly wanna get shot with a 9mm. I also wouldn't wanna get shot by my BB pistol either. Unfortunately, most of the hard-to-stop folks don't evaluate risks this rationally, if at all.

Page generated in 0.03801 seconds with 8 queries