View Single Post
Old March 3, 2013, 11:52 PM   #14
HiBC

I recently aquired a CMP special.I'm happy with my choice.

While it is very true that the ammo must be appropriate for an M-1,IMO,its not a big deal.

4895 powder is what the original powder was.

Folks have been shooting handloads in Hi-Power competition using Garands for a long time.

I'm saying you do not have to re-invent the wheel.

As the adjustable gas plugs are not CMP legal,I think I'll pass on them.(Unless you need to shoot some hunting loads)

If you can find some of the white box CCI mil spec primers,thats a good choice.

IMR 4895,from what I have read,is one of the better choices.I believe 4064is also a top choice.

30 cal 150 gr fmj's,and 150,155,168 gr match bullets from Nosler Custom Comp,Sierra,Hornady,etc are in the zone.If you will be shooting over 600 yds,you might consider the 175 gr Matchking.

Proper powder and bullet weights,and accept original velocities or slightly less,no abuse is going on.

There is a book you may be able to find"Precision Shooting's Guide to Reloading for High Power Competition" or something like that,is a good reference.

One tool they strongly advocate is the RCBS Precision mic.(Other tools work.This is the tool recomended by the book)This tool allows you to carefully monitor how much you set the shoulder back when you resize.Too much,and brass life suffers.Not enough,the ammo is too tight,and you can be almost locked up,but not quite.

Actually,learning the skills to properly feed your Garand will make you a better ammo crafter.

I'm entering into choosing my own load,I have to experiment some.I can tell you there is a Hornady match 165 or 168 that is pretty reasonably priced,and IMO,as the Garand is a battle rifle,not a bench gun,accuracy will be fine....I think.

Page generated in 0.03725 seconds with 8 queries