View Single Post
Old December 19, 2012, 03:43 PM   #12
Jimro

Quote:
From what I have heard, the Corporation that wins the bid to run Lake City uses their own components. That includes primers and powders. Next winner uses what they want to use.

Short cut stick powder sure looks like any other short cut powder unless the color is different.
Not true, once a load has been accepted it cannot be changed without going through a new acceptance process. That is why you find the old M118SB loaded with IMR4895 and WC846, they went through the acceptance trials to get the different loads accepted into the same DODIC.

M118LR started off with WC750 powder (a bulk grade of Win748) but they went to Reloader15 when Alliant won the bid to run Lake City. Crane NSWC made up a new load of M118LR called Mk316 which uses a Fed GMM Primer and IMR4064 for SOCOM issue.

But the only stick powder I know of that was ever loaded in both 308 and 30-06 was IMR4895. Anyone who pulls apart M118LR to get Re15 is wasting their time (I highly doubt they could make ammo more accurate than they just destroyed) and Mk316 is too new to be on the surplus market yet.

And I still don't know if the loads the OP pulled apart were real LC loads or not.

Jimro

Page generated in 0.03055 seconds with 8 queries