Thread: Steel targets
View Single Post
Old July 2, 2012, 06:59 PM   #6
PawPaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ideal Tool
Hello, PawPaw. Looks like you were having fun! Want to here a strange one? Several years ago, I made up some CRS targets 10" dia X 3/4" thick. I had them carburized & hardened..as deep as I could..about 1/16" [I] had drilled & tapped two 1/4-20 holes on opposite sides..thry edge & had eye bolts inserted. Target was suspended from regular bailing twine & shot with FMJ..not armor pierc. from 300yds. At impact, target fell. Examination showed just the slightest dimple in surface..but the real surprise was the eye bolts..both were sheared off flush..and bent double..the impact from bullet was so great & fast..the steel bent itself around the twine before breaking!
We've tried chain, and we've tried rope. The problem with both is that a bullet will inadvertently cut them if the shot is a little high. I'm using industrial webbing now and I'm finding that works fairly well. A high shot cuts through the webbing, but doesn't drop the target. But yeah, I agree, the impact of a bullet generates a lot of force. It doesn't suprise me that it would cut a bolt.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com

Page generated in 0.03312 seconds with 8 queries