View Single Post
Old September 9, 2005, 12:41 PM   #56
leadcounsel

Good points well taken

So, let's assume that there is an equal risk of overpenentration and danger to innocents with 9mm, .40, .45, .357, .223, and 12 guage slugs and buckshot.

Given your argument, do you take a rifle or handgun for "normal" interior urban home defense?

To alter my comments slightly from before, it really depends.

Now, as I indicated in the earlier post, I think that you SHOULD just take a defensive position and lock the door to the room and call LEO and wait with your gun trained on the door to give the BG a surprise. If I were to barricade myself in a room and was only training the gun on the one entrance, I'd take a defensive position and either rifle would be fine. I think this may have been the REAL question that the original poster was asking.... so my answer is to take the shotgun in 12 or 20 gauge due to it's versatility with loads and ranges and cost (you can get a fantastic Mossberg 500 or Remi 870 for under $300, have the price of a good .223).

The pistol is better, say, if you do have to leave to go retrieve the kids or if you are inclined to investigate. I strongly believe you need a free hand and maneuverabilty. I'll take the handgun in all but the barricade or permiter defense situations. I'll give several good reasons: Maneuverability, noise, number of shots and quick reload (over the shotgun only), and having a free hand.

I can maneuver easier through my house, have 16 shots of .40 in a 30 oz. package with fast reload, and have a free hand for other tools (e.g. phone, flashlight, door knobs, handcuffs, extra magazine, light switches, wrestling with the bad guy, carrying kids or babies, rounding corners, etc.). If I don't have ear protection, the pistol is far more tolerable to shoot (e.g. noise) than any .223 or 12 gauge.

Page generated in 0.03400 seconds with 8 queries