Thread: metal on a k31
View Single Post
Old April 17, 2012, 02:11 PM   #4
buggley

i am making a crucibal this weekend and some time soon getting a furnace or kiln i have only looked at brownells but i dont take the first thing i see.
to harden i would use a mix of charcoal from bone leather wood and fruite pits mixed with prepackaged stuff i want to play around and see what looks best. the parts have to set inside the crusibal and loosly packed so they dont get stuck in there tight and the crucibal has to be large enough that there is plenty of space between the walls and the piece being worked. it also has to be sealed because the oxygen will decarbonize the metal. after heating it must be quenched in and oxygenated tank.ive been doing my home work i just havent actualy tried it just yet. as far as coloring with heat i have done that with satisfactory results. i have oil blued a few shot gun barrel.
with the k31 i was planning on practicing the color casing, i am running out of material to practice on. i dont want to re work the same things over and over so i can use them as a refrence as to what i did wrong and need to fix and what i did well and hoe to achieve it. i have tried hard to document as many of my projects as i can for cross refrencing.

Page generated in 0.02330 seconds with 8 queries