View Single Post
Old April 16, 2008, 08:51 AM   #9
freakshow10mm

If he casts the slugs and sells them, he is manufacturing ammunition according to the GCA and needs to be licensed. If he is selling alloy, that is fine.

As far as experimenting with slugs, uncharted territory in shotguns is not good. My understanding with shotgun data is that it is a recipe, not a suggestion like with cartridge loading. That specific data has been brewed with that specific component list to produce that specific result. Using a slug that has a different weight, ballistic coefficient, bearing surface, drag coefficient without knowing how that will effect pressures, is a serious undertaking.

Yes, what you described with the slug seated in a standard wad being spun by rifling is exactly what is going on. These slugs will be "hidden" by the crimp, so be sure to mark the hulls with something to indicate they are in fact slugs and not shot. I got hulls mixed up on a pheasant hunt and blasted one at 10y with a 3" slug load out of my 20ga. BOOM! Kicked way more than the normal #4 standard field loads. Perfect hole in the bird dead center. You could shove an entire 20ga shell through the hole with little resistence. Whoops!

Page generated in 0.05883 seconds with 8 queries