View Single Post
Old February 17, 2008, 03:25 PM   #30
snevensmores

I didn't have time to read through all of the previous posts, but here's a take on things that you might not think about.

Voice commands and "taking charge of the situation" are integral parts of home defense. If you can control the suspect and "convince" him to surrender, it's possible that you won't have to fire a shot at all.

In law enforcement, you are trained with a FATS (firearms training simulator). I'm not sure if a normal civilian would ever have access to train with one of these, but it has video scenarios that are projected onto a wall. You are equipped with a holstered handgun (that has a laser on it to monitor your shots), and you encounter stressful situations. You must decide when to draw your weapon and whether or not to fire. You're in a room yelling at a suspect to drop his weapon, stop running, release a hostage, etc. There's a person at a computer behind you controlling the entire system. He decides how the scenario pans out. If you don't give good voice commands, he'll have the suspect do something crazy. You handle things correctly, and the suspect might surrender and you can avoid a shootout. In the end, the computer observer will go through all the scenarios and tell you what you did right/wrong and you can seel all of your shots and where they hit.

If you have access to a private area to practice, I'd recommend training on voice commands and knowing when to draw the line. Your ultimate trump card is the second you draw your weapon -- know when to play it.

PS: The first scenario that I did with FATS, about 3 years ago, a BG drew on me at close range in a bar. I was trying to pull the trigger as quickly as possible (didn't know much at all about guns at the time). I was in such a hurry, I didn't pull the trigger back until break during the first squeeze. Needless to say, I died. The next scenario, I shot a drug-smuggling truck driver in the junk as he was running, so it wasn't so bad .

Page generated in 0.03705 seconds with 8 queries