View Single Post
Old October 9, 2006, 11:40 PM   #2
Randy in Arizona

Location: East of The Democratic People's Repuplic of Tucson.
Back when I started loading 300 Win Mag, and reading every caliber's write-ups in each loading manual, I noticed the preference for Federal 215 Magnum primers in anything bigger than an Ackley Improved '30-06. IIRC the ONLY magnum primer readily available in those days was the Federal 215.

Now I have also noticed that the data frequently lingers from one issue of a manual to the next. So if the company has 6 new powders, 14 new calibers, and 20 new bullets to work up loads for they may well go for quite a while before revisiting some thing that doesn't use the new powders or bullets.

Now the good news - if you are starting from scratch any of the new magnum primers should be fine. Just stick to which ever brand and type you develop the load with. DO NOT change brands or types with out starting over with light loads and working up to the level of speed and accuracy you are trying for. BTW you may not be able to achieve the velocity you are hoping for, so go for accuracy instead. A bullet that misses at 3500 fps will not work as well as one at 2500 fps that hits its target.

Learn to read primers and measure the casehead expansion as you work up.

I use the Fed 215 for three reasons, I worked up my loads with them, and I have several thousand of them, and they are still available.

YMMV
Work up your own loads!
This advice worth at least twice what you paid for it!

Page generated in 0.02415 seconds with 8 queries