View Single Post
Old March 26, 2012, 04:14 PM   #4
BigJimP

Wingmasters aren't particularly rare...( but then I was born before 1953 ) ....and they were common pump guns when I was younger.

Rem 870 Wingmasters are very serviceable guns ...but the fixed choke doesn't make it particularly versatile ...depending on what it is. But even if its a fixed choke...its safe to shoot lead shot thru it ( not steel ). The barrel should be marked for length of chamber and choke ...if you take the barrel off there should be marks on it .

Find out what the choke is ...and chamber length ...and sure, you can shoot it them, with the appropriate shells.

Market value on these old Wingmasters..is very weak ..../ and its weak on fixed choke shotguns in general. Most of us these days...in guns we use for clay target games ( skeet, trap, sporting clays ) or with any guns we hunt with ...have guns that have changeable screw in chokes in the end of the barrels....where we have one gun ...that we can hunt with - as well as shoot all the clay target games ...( skeet choke for skeet - very open / a Modified choke for Trap ...kind of a mid range gun / and for sporting clays most of us will shoot a Mod most of the time - but carry a skeet, improved cyclinder, modified, an improved mod and a full choke - so we can change the ballistics or the pattern size of the gun for the inteded target).

That's why I say ...if its a Modified choke ..its reasonably versatile ../ a Full choke ..not so much....

Honestly - a buddy I have owns a used gun shop .../ even for a Wingmaster - in a fixed Full choke...he'd only offer you $ 50 for it ...hoping he can sell it for $ 100 - $ 150 ...because there is no demand for them / unless someone just wants a relatively inexpensive pump gun. He probaly has 150 shotguns in inventory ( used ) ...and 150 more new .../ and he tries to keep about 5 fixed choke - older pump guns in stock ...and he sells a lot of guns / but not many of these...

I was at a big gunshow over the weekend ( 300 or more tables )...and there were at least a dozen Rem 870 wingmasters for sale ...mostly Full choke.../ and I didn't see anyone show any interest in them ...let alone buy one...

Page generated in 0.02454 seconds with 8 queries