View Single Post
Old November 19, 2020, 08:56 PM   #10
HiBC

Here is another possibilty.
I have not powder coated bullets myself,but folks in the cast boolit section have.
Supposedly,it doesn;t lead,you can shoot at higher vel,and no lube is required.

I can't say all that is true,but its my understandng.

The rest of it is,the coating has a thickness. I believe there is some degree of flexibility over the coating thickness via which powder you choose and your process controls.

As I said, I've never done this.

Apparently,Harbor Freight powder coating powder is one good choice.

Air soft pellets are used to shake the bullets in with the powder. They apply the powder.

There is somehing about the container you shake the bullets ,airsoft pellets,and powder in. If its the right plastic, it makes the electrostatic charge that makes the powder stick.
Apparently a Kool-Whip tub works good.

Then it gets baked in a toaster oven or convection toaster oven and the powder cures.

The alloy you cast with has some effect on your diameter,and it MAY be posible to gain .001 per side ,or .002 on the dia with the coating.

Because A) Cast bullets need to be to size or slightly over to seal the bore,I'd figure the mold should cast .309 +
and B) Most folks run the bullets through a sizer/luber die. Undersize bullets don't work out well.The bullets can't be grossly oversize,but .001 over from the mold gies the sizer die something to work with,making the bullets round and uniform. Important,too,if the bullet leaks lube in the lube bushing,it makes a mess.

You may be able to pull all that together to something that will work.

Page generated in 0.05245 seconds with 8 queries