View Single Post
Old May 27, 2016, 04:56 AM   #32
stubbicatt

Quote:
I'd say there isn't enough information given to support that conclusion.

First off, we don't know what ammo was used. Odds are even or better it was FMJ, which is never a good performer on smaller animals. '
Yep. Nor will we ever get any more information. Dude died in the late 90's. I don't remember details anymore from his story, it was so long ago. Nonetheless, "for my purposes," based on his story, I have concluded that the carbine round is not a good choice for shooting rabid dogs. I've seen this man make some remarkable shots, and can vouch for his truthfulness if you like, and I feel confident that if he were missing his target, he would have told me so. You are free to conclude anything you like.

Nonetheless, I do have personal experience with the 357 in a lever gun on coyotes. It is a remarkably effective cartridge/firearm combination in that application. Granted none I shot were rabid (that I know of), which may be a mitigating factor, but they were canids with similar structure to other canids, and they go down right smartly when shot with a 357 magnum 160 grain RNFP cast bullet. Probably much more smartly with a hollow point.

Page generated in 0.03473 seconds with 8 queries