View Single Post
Old April 15, 2013, 02:07 PM   #23
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kochman
However, 120k people were stopped... now, if you knew that people had to get a background check to buy guns, wouldn't you yet further question someone who wanted to buy from you but refused to use this form?
I'm not sure where the 120K comes from, but let's assume that is correct. Any idea how many were false positives? Any idea how many were actually prosecuted for attempting to buy a gun in violation of the law?

Perhaps more importantly, I have committed no crimes. I have not attempted to purchase a weapon unlawfully. Why should I have additional restrictions put on my Constitutional right to Keep and Bear Arms? I have never had any sort of Due Process by which my 2A rights may lawfully be further restricted in any way. I have had no notice of an accusation against me, much less an opportunity to be heard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDandy
Because if they can't pretend to be a good guy in an intrastate "stranger" sale that will lower the number of crime guns getting to the black market.
I realize that's the argument, but I don't think it would actually work out that way, given what we know about how criminals acquire firearms.

Quote:
@Spats,
The good guys will use them because we're the good guys.
When universal background checks fail to reduce crime, politicians will scream that UBCs didn't work because we didn't register all of our firearms. When the cry goes up for full registration, will good guys register their firearms "because we're the good guys?" When that fails to reduce crime and politicians cry for everyone to turn in their arms for destruction "in the name of public safety," of course, will the good guys turn in their arms, "because "we're the good guys?"

Quote:
Regarding #4... again, remember, the Constitution is a flawed document. When it was written, believe me, they didn't let the village idiot go around toting a gun, nor the clearly insane, nor the slaves (or indentured servants perhaps also?)... it was never a total and free right, it was always regulated.
I'm pretty comfortable with my understanding of the US Constitution.

Page generated in 0.03699 seconds with 8 queries