View Single Post
Old October 3, 1999, 01:45 PM   #9
Paul B.

Contender. I would think that the rifling would not affect the hardness. The bullet passes through so quickly, that any effect would be negligible. I think that the softening effect that occurs after sizing the bullet may take from several hours to maybe even days. If you are loading your bullets and shooting them shortly thereafter, the bullet may not have been seriously affected.
When I cast bullets (mostly for rifle) I do from 1 to 2 thousand at a time. Then I size, oven treat and put then into coffee can storage. When I plan to load some, I lube and gas check them.
I do get more uniformity this way with usually a variance in the BHN of 2 or 3 on the scale.
I don't bother heat treating handgun bullets. I have not yet seen the need.
I also feel that my method is definitely safer. While I have never had water splash into molten lead (God forbid) I did sneeze once in the direction of a pot of molten lead. OOOOOOOWWWEEEEE! :O The results were spectacular, and I looked as if I had a case of the measles. Fortunately, I wear glasses and my eyes were protected. Now, when I am casting, if a sneeze or cough rears its ugly head, I damn well turn away from the pot. That happened about 38 years ago, but some things do stick in ones mind.
As old Elmer Keith once said, "I believe in letting every man scratch his fleas in his own way."
Paul B.

Page generated in 0.02498 seconds with 8 queries