View Single Post
Old July 25, 2002, 04:34 PM   #18
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

This started with specific concern for comparable trajectories, so I stayed with that in earlier posts.

IMO, for deer which field-dress under 200 pounds, I see no particular reason to use a .30 bullet which weighs over 150 grains. More IMO is that I think a flat-based bullet, particularly a spitzer, will do just fine out to at least 300 yards. After that the shooter's skill becomes far more important than differences in bullet weight or design.

In a previous discussion here about bullet design, a Sierra person posted information to the general effect that the flat-based spitzer bullets are less likely to "blow up" than the boat-tails. This comment was limited to the 150-grain and 165-grain bullets. If I understood correctly, the blow-up problem is not evident with the 180-grain boat-tail or flat-base designs.

There is an operating range of velocities for different weights and styles of bullets. Some bullets, if hitting a deer at 40 to 75 yards, will blow up, but out beyond 100 yards will not. You just have to dig in to what information is available from the manufacturers as to the design parameters for your particular needs and purpose.

You can email Sierra, and they will get back to you within a reasonable time. I haven't tried any of the others.

Art

Page generated in 0.03064 seconds with 8 queries