View Single Post
Old December 30, 2007, 12:37 PM   #11
MeekAndMild

Quote:
Gun control started as racist and still is....
blume357 you beat me to the punch. I would add that it is also generally discriminatory against citizens who would risk losing their 'clean' record with any misdemeanor arrest so that the political crime of carrying without a permit puts them into the 'criminal class' the same way that exercising his freedom of speech put Rev. Martin Luther King into the 'criminal class'. Such laws create a class of political criminals.

IMHO efforts to restrict citizens from owning/carrying firearms are coercive efforts on the part of the state (in its generic sense) to control them and make them dependent on the state by labeling them as political dissidents or even political criminals. Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, in his Nobel prize winning book, The Gulag Archipelago discussed the use of hardened criminals to control citizens, a practice which appears to be going on in US cities where the RKBA is overly regulated and citizens risk spending jail time if they choose to carry to protect themselves and their families.

My 2 cents.

Edited to add that if the prospect of reading Solzhenitsyn is too intimidating there is a dumbed down and humorous version of the effect of criminalization of noncriminal behavior in Kilgore Trout's famous, and much shorter novel, Venus on the Half-Shell.
In a few years when the dust finally clears and people start counting their change there is a pretty good chance that President Obama may become known as The Great Absquatulator. You heard it first here on TFL.

Page generated in 0.02544 seconds with 8 queries