View Single Post
Old September 3, 1999, 09:15 PM   #14
David Wright

Oh SB, for shame.

I was trying to help someone get-up-to-speed with a system that would get him there quickly, and, once again, we get the smoke and mirrors.

I went to the "well rounded" address you suggested on SCARS. I can always tell when someone doesn't really know anything about SCARS.(or a LOT of other things discussed here, for that matter) It's kinda like the boys in high school bragging about having sex, and you can tell who has, and who is just blowing shinola out their ears. Right?

He leaves no name, signs his monograph "ex-frogman", and say things that I KNOW FROM FIRST HAND EXPERIENCE ARE SIMPLY NOT TRUE. Lotsa opinion and no direct experience perhaps. Same as it ever was.

I can't debate it. I don't have to. I have lived it.

No if's, ands or buts. Full stop. End of story.

I'm not mad at all. Just highly amused at what some folks accept as fact on this post. Also, unlike some I know or know of in the martial arts industry, Jerry avoids the word "guru" or shifu or seafood or big cahuna like the plague. Unlike most dojos, at his facility, you are not bowing low toward a picture of someone or some concept. I guess some folks need a quasi-religion in their lives.
Unlike many, Jerry doesn't knock your style of martial arts at all, he just shows a scientific, highly effective, duplicatable, repeatable approach to fighting and lets you decide. Science vs "arts".

If one is looking for "ooh, ahh" sex appeal, SCARS is not for you. Oh, and by the way, with rare exception, the kind of folks that Jerry works with, the majority of martial arts instructors have never even heard of, let alone worked with.

Believe me. Some of these folks would/should scare you, cause they actually, really do for a living what you sometimes see in the action movies. Most of my instructors(overseas and in the U.S.) have never been in a true life or death situation short of those "harrowing" encounters with the local drunk at the bar.
Some of them blow this off by saying the true warrior is so wise he can avoid such matters and never needs to fight for his life. Then they misquote or misapply some famous saying by Musashi or Tzu as elegant proof of their inexperience. Oh, o.k. Right. Sure. Nonsense.

As the "ex-frogman" would probably agree, spec-ops folks are highly opiniated about things, especially if they don't work. SCARS works quite well. That's fighting standing up, lying down, zero gravity in water, Gracie JJ or whatever. The way SCARS blows away some of the "invincible" grappling moves and holds is hilarious. Give me your very best grapple triple death hold or whatever, and I will get out of it every time.Maybe not super fast, but I will get out. And I'm not that great at it yet. I have shown this to grappler fans, and the stunned silence I hear(?) after I break the hold tells all.
It is soooo damn simple, it's embarressing. It is most humbling when you practice SCARS and you have all those decades of "status", belts, Dit Da Jow and training and broken bones, bruises and etc, and you try NOT to make SCARS work, and it still works. Even when you know the move the other guy is going to make. Simply awesome. No excuses. Just results. Let me say it again. Give me twins with equal skills, intellect, strength, etc.
Train one of them with SCARS. Train the other with whatever system you fancy. In a real "no holds barred" fight, I KNOW who will win. I mean a real fight, where one of the combatants doesn't walk away from the ring. Ever. No rules, no referee, no rule book.

Please let me know how YOU have verified this stuff as "well rounded" or accurate to your satisfaction. If it's your opinion, so be it.
That's all it is.

Oh, and by the way, my real name IS David Wright. No mystery. Nothing to hide...

------------------
David H. Wright
Bring this man a
goat and a bowl of fruit

[This message has been edited by David Wright (edited September 03, 1999).]

Page generated in 0.03766 seconds with 8 queries