View Single Post
Old June 8, 2009, 02:30 PM   #45
MTMilitiaman

I am glad everything worked out for him as it did, but I am with agreement with the majority here. Using an unloaded firearm for defense is foolish, and the results could have been a lot less favorable. When it comes right down to it, some guns make decent clubs when they are unloaded. A Hi-Point Carbine is not one of them.

Additionally, I think keeping an unloaded firearm for defense is foolish because it undermines the basic concept. We all accept that weather they are designed for it or not, firearms are capable of inflicting deadly force. If this fact is nearly as sobering for you as it is for me, it accounts for what has been, so far (knock on wood), a completely pleasant and accident free 26-year life heavily infused with guns on a daily basis. This fundamentally accepted fact is the reason why firearms are legally considered lethal force by most states and jurisdictions, regardless of whether they are discharged or even loaded.

So most states will hold brandishing a firearm, even if it is unloaded, as brandishing a lethal weapon, at least by my understanding. Most states will hold you accountable if you shoot to wound an attacker for this same reason. This is because presenting a firearm is legally considered lethal force. If wounding or frightening an attacker is all that is required, many states will hold you legally accountable for escalating the situation with lethal force when it was not necessary. So presenting an unloaded firearm at the very least holds you to all legal risks associated with using a firearm without providing you with the capabilities to defend yourself if the firearm is actually necessary. This guy would have been better off, morally and legally speaking, with a baseball bat. As he was clearly unwilling and unable to use lethal force, he had no business using a firearm for self-defense. Being ready, willing, and able to use lethal force is a responsibility we all accept when we decide to keep firearms for self-defense. Even though most of us acknowledge that this is almost the worst case scenario, we accept the risk and that is what makes us legal, responsible gun owners. Those unwilling to accept these risks are best served pursuing other means to defend themselves.

It sucks that we live in a day and age where our fellow man often proves to be untrustworthy, and where charity and good-will are often taken as signs of weakness. But there is a difference between an act of kindness and an act of foolishness. This was clearly more of the latter.

Page generated in 0.02580 seconds with 8 queries