View Single Post
Old October 26, 2013, 11:39 AM   #35
cw308

Douggamm I agree with most that 44gr. is high for IMR4895 for accuracy, must of the time mid to low range for powder charge is best. As for cleaning, how many rounds are you shooting. I use a wet and dry patch for every round I fire that day. My cleaner is Wipe-out Patch-out works great & no odor. I'm old school, I always clean after shooting, only need 3 foul shots to get the rifle to start grouping,for hunting it's alittle different, hunters may fire 5 rounds to zero before a hunt so the next round fired when hunting should be very close, for hunting a lightly fouled barrel is OK, in one season they my shoot 10 rounds, and put it away for next year. In benchrest shooting you fire 28 rounds at a session. a hunting rifle will last forever if maintained properly, a benchrest rifle, will most likely have a new barrel installed due to the amount of rounds down the tube. Also after cleaning you lightly oil, just remember to clean the oil out before shooting , oil in a barrel will form a varnish in the barrel.In reloading use the same make casings, federal cases are thicker so lower your powder charge 1 grain to start, than work up. With Remington barrels like ours, the have alot of free bore so trying to get close to the lands may not help. With match rounds like blackhills they are 2.800 OAL but they seem to shoot great in most rifles, it has to due with the right powder charge , just slowly increase .03 grains at a time with the same powder & bullet till you find the sweet spot. hope I helped chris

Last edited by cw308; October 26, 2013 at 02:21 PM.

Page generated in 0.02637 seconds with 8 queries