View Single Post
Old February 28, 2006, 09:38 PM   #14
cje1980

Quote:
i found this out when i shot a possum on my back patio and it bouced off after hitting the possum and went through my car door (thank god)
A solid non-expanding slug from any service caliber will definitely go through an opossum. If it didn't I would be awfully concerned about using that load for home defense or carry. The only 357Mag loads you might have to worry about are the 158gr. JHPs. Even then they typically penetrate to about 16" and open up to at least 1/2". After penetrating a human torso and opening up it is not going to have much energy left. A miss with a .45ACP is going to be just as deadly to an innocent bystander as a miss with a 357Mag. You always have to be aware of your backstop no matter which caliber you use.

Quote:
If I touched off a .357 in my town, ohhhh boy would I be in trouble... And I even live on the outskirts

Why? If you were justified to draw and fire your weapon, you wouldn't be in any more trouble than if you had used another caliber. Of course a 158gr. JSP is going to over-penetrate. That is what it was designed to do. Use an expanding bullet in 357Mag and you have got yourself one heck of home defense pistol. A 125gr. JHP won't penetrate any more than 12" so whats the problem?

Page generated in 0.02223 seconds with 8 queries