View Single Post
Old February 27, 2012, 08:20 PM   #23
gunsmokeTPF

I'll say it again, if anyone wants a 1st generation, or 2nd generation SAA and can't afford one, then buy an original Bisley, which may cost a little more than a 3rd the price of a SAA in good shootable condition. If the grip style is something you can't live with, then so be it. If it has to look pristine and character bothers you then go Italian. I don't own any Rugers and never have. I won't criticize them, but I have shot them and when you cock them they feel nothing like a Colt. They're strong and well made and even used in the movies, but I restrict myself to what I really like a lot. To each his own.

It amazes me that so many in the SASS don't use more original guns and settle for the repros, but I'll make an exception where the USFA guns are concerned. I think they're better made than the Colts made for the past 30 years. It really hurts me to say that. It's not that repros don't work well, or look bad, but some of these copies aren't much cheaper than the real thing. As an example, I purchased a '97 Winchester riot for $700 3 years ago. I got a letter for it from the Buffalo Bill Historical Society in Cody Wy. that said that the shotgun was indeed a riot mfg. in 1900. Why buy a chinese copy for four, or five hundred when you can get an original for seven? Just save a little longer and buy a real investment. You can't be lazy and gotta shop around. Sooner, or later you'll find something to your liking, which makes your efforts worthwhile.

Even though my Bisley was converted to a SAA it's the most accurate SA I own and I own a few that go back to 1891. I shoot them all the time at a 3ft by 3ft steel plate at 80+ yards with Ten-X black powder ammo and hit it all the time. I hit it with my Bisley also. I know they were made for target shooting, but most weren't bought for that and while they were being made they were actually popular. Mine is a 32-20, which was the most popular calibre for that gun and even though not considered a man stopper it is a pleasure to shoot and is Dead on. I think it's additional weight due to the small calibre, which leaves more steel remaining in the cylinder and barrel helps with that. Even my 2nd generation .45 SAA that I purchased for $185 in 1970 from Abercrombe & Fitch when they sold guns is not as accurate even though I gave it back and had work done on it. But it's been my favorite one over the years and looks great too.

There's just something about a Bisley!

Page generated in 0.03401 seconds with 8 queries