View Single Post
Old February 12, 2012, 01:07 AM   #25
crazyredj

I have a range

I have a private range.

* It's in a warehouse that's open only during the day - no one's around at night or on weekends. That's the only time I shoot in there, with the door locked. I'm the only one with a key.

* It's in a hallway about 30' long.

* It's second story, concrete walls/floors/ceiling, thick steel doors. I tested it - can't hear anything at all from outside.

* I use a "snail" type bullet trap, which minimizes lead dust. It's two 4'x3' 1/4" plates set at about 22.5 degrees, leading in a "V" into a split 8" steel pipe, offset so the bullet winds itself down and falls throught he crack when it slows down. I've tested it with .223 ammo. It dented the plate a little, even at 22.5 degrees, but did indeed "trap" the round. I don't use that ammo in there, but just wanted to test the max. It takes 357 ammo all day long. It doesn't even blink at 9mm / 40 / 45. It laughs and yawns at .22

* I use a common bathroom vent fan - the strongest available at Home Depot. The secret to good ventilation, however, is a HUGE fan blowing INTO the firing lane. That creates a pressure chamber, all smoke and dust quickly find their way to the vent fan.

* Just in case, I wear a lead rated ventilator mask. Looks stupid - but so does the way I dress.

* Just in case, unless I'm testing ammo, I use frangible, lead free bullets / primers.

* The firing range is in a hallway, disguised as a storage area. The snail trap is inside a locked 8' tall cabinet, marked "archives." You'd have to be looking for it to find it.

* I used to pick up every single brass when I was done - then I decided to set my reloading stuff up in the hallway, so now brass is not out of place back there.

* I lined the walls near the cabinet with 3/8" steel, overlapped AWAY from the shooting area.

* Also lined the area BEHIND the cabinet / trap with 3/8" steel. I've tested it. It will easily take a .223 round, but wouldn't last on a regular basis. It's never been hit except for test rounds... knock on wood.

* I installed a security camera setup so I can see what's happening outside. If anyone drives into the area, I stop shooting. They'd never hear it, and a round would never make it out there, but just to be on the safe side.

* I spent about 2 grand for all the steel, cameras, trap and ventilation.

Let me tell you, it has been WORTH EVERY PENNY! I can practice rapid fire, prone shooting, quick draw, malfunctions, shooting from around a corner... whatever I want. I HATE shooting at the range, bc you never know what someone else (like me ) is going to do. For that matter, I prefer to limit the effects of my OWN accidents to myself as well. Also don't like people looking over my shoulder when I practice: "Yes, I know I missed the bulls eye. I wasn't aiming at it..." I always let my wife know when I'm shooting, in case there's an accident. If I don't call every 30 minutes, she calls me... if no answer, she comes over or calls 911 and the party's over.

I can tell you, it's really awesome. Nothing in the world like it. I can also tell you that I'm well aware of the risks. Shooting alone, if you have an accident, and you can't get to your cell, you could bleed out b4 anyone realizes you're down. Of course, I'll bet the odds of dying in a car accident on your way home are way higher, but we all do that every day.

Think it out carefully, err on the safe side, and good luck!

Page generated in 0.03992 seconds with 8 queries