View Single Post
Old May 3, 2005, 05:14 AM   #4
LAK

I think being able use any rifle up close has merit. Even in the hunting field one ocassionally get's a snapshot at something right up close. However I think the close-up emphasis that seems to be ubiquitous with the term "urban rifle" is error.

Certainly one ought to be able to employ a rifle at contact and short distances, but in addition to being cluttered the urban environment can have some very long open spaces depending on exactly where you live. I have one street nearby that opens things up to about a quarter mile in one direction and a half mile in the other. A short distance away an intersection with another street changes this to as far as the eye can see save the obstruction of overhanging streetlights, signs, various storefronts, etc.

There is no reason to assume that the use of a rifle in the defense role will be static on ones own property. One might be compelled to move during a time of disturbance, changing from the familiar of your home surroundings to areas with taller buildings, open parking areas and long streets etc. So I would be inclined to shoot a variety of close, short to moderate range drills - and some practice representing the practical maximum range of your rifle or carbine.

My first recommendation, if you haven't already, is get hold of a copy of Col. Cooper's The Art of the Rifle. Read, study and practice it. It is not a long read, is quite concise, and there is probably not a single other written work IMO that is a better foundation to build on; from his treatment of gun handling in the context of the rifle on up.

Page generated in 0.02423 seconds with 8 queries