View Single Post
Old November 9, 2002, 11:30 AM   #2
Old Fuff

I doubt you’ll do this, but if it was me I would look for an old-but-in-good-shape Smith & Wesson Military & Police model made during the late 1920’s through about 1947. Why? Because they have what is called a “long action” which lends itself to an exceptionally smooth hitch-free double action. They are also some of the finest revolvers ever built - made at a time when skilled hand workmanship wasn’t too expensive too use. Sights are fixed, but usually dead-on if you use standard 158-grain .38 Special loads or equivalent. Since most of today’s gun buyers don’t understand what these guns represent you can probably find one for $200.00 or less (probably less, especially if you opt for one with a barrel running over 4 inches).

My next choice would be an early S&W K-38 with a 4-screw sideplate (so called “5-screw” model). Either one with a 6” barrel (so called “Target Masterpiece”) or 4 inch barrel (Combat Masterpiece). The longer barrel could be shortened and the front sight remounted for holster use. These guns don’t have the “ long action” but the do have adjustable sights and very good double actions. Again they were made by highly qualified fitters. Cost would likely be under $300.00, and that might include shortening a barrel.

Another candidate, if you can find one, would be a pre-war or early post-war S&W model 38-44. This was a fixed-sight revolver chambered in .38 Special but built on the large “N” frame. They have the “long action” and usually are found with 4 or 5 inch barrels (usually the latter). They are large and heavy guns, but the weight will dampen recoil and with a tuned action make recovery between shots fast and easy. Speed loaders designed for the .357 Magnum work fine. Cost would probably be well under $500.00.

An easy way to tell the difference between the older “long action” vs. newer “short action” guns is that the former had fine checkering on the hammer spur where the later ones have course checkering. Once you see it you will understand.

Really good revolvers are expensive to manufacturer because a lot of skilled labor is required to make them. Today that labor is very expensive, which is why makers are always making changes to reduce cost, not necessarily make a better product. Custom shop guns may well equal older ones, but you will probably be looking at twice your budget or more if you go that way.

Page generated in 0.03428 seconds with 8 queries