View Single Post
Old November 22, 2011, 11:04 PM   #62
MLeake

My personal take on this is that CCW training should focus on applicable laws and regulations, and some discussion of what does and what does not constitute reasonable grounds for use of deadly force in self-defense.

A thorough review of such topics takes up a full class, in my opinion. Adding basic weapons handling to the mix, while an admirable idea, could easily lead to overload.

Also, logical fallacy or no, a training requirement could easily be manipulated to make it difficult for the average person to obtain a permit, and I am not keen on opening windows of opportunity for the other side.

That said, I also think it foolish of anybody who plans to carry if they do not first get themselves up to speed on safe, basic weapons handling. After obtaining the permit, I think continued training is a good idea, too.

Frankly, if we want to add training requirements - and if I were boss, which I'm not - we could add mandatory training in unarmed self-defense, plus less-lethal self-defense, as prerequisites to training for any use of deadly force. I'd argue that such a plan would make sense, as it would weed out those who aren't serious about learning, and it would ensure that people who were carrying firearms would be aware of, and at least to some extent able to employ, methods short of using a firearm for those situations where a lesser degree of force might be warranted.

But if I actually tried to mandate such training, I suspect a lot of those who have posted here in favor of the training requirement would argue quite vehemently and bitterly about it.

So I have to ask, is the right to self-defense, and the right to bear arms, a right or a privilege? If it's a right, then the training requirement argument fails. If it's a privilege, then who gets to put the limits on what training requirement is reasonable and what is an infringement?

Edit: In thinking about this, my issue would be with a government training mandate. I have no problem at all if individual instructors want proof of a shooter's proficiency before accepting them as a CCW student. I might require the same...

Last edited by MLeake; November 22, 2011 at 11:10 PM.

Page generated in 0.03667 seconds with 8 queries