View Single Post
Old December 31, 2001, 09:22 PM   #8
redneck

Well a few years back we had a tree hugging lover of all creatures great and small, neighbor who felt the need to feed 40 lbs of dog food a week to any and all recoons that would come to the house. So despite great efforts, we still haven't thinned the damned things back out to normal levels.
Last summer they made a full assault on our sweet corn, and destroyed the whole crop of early corn right before it was ready for us to eat it. So I declared all out war on them and borrowed a live trap from my uncle. Pretty simple really, if you catch a coon you shoot it and repeat the process the next night, if you catch a cat you shake the hell out of the trap so that it never goes in there again, then shoot it err, I mean let it go sorry all you cat lovers. (No cats were harmed in the actual events described in this story)
Well I got home from straw baling late the second night of having the trap and was going out to set it at about a quarter to 11. I forgot my flashlight but decided not to go back for it since I could rig the trap from the flood light on the front of the barn and then move it to where I wanted it. I was almost past the corner of the house when the leaves of a big plant in the flower start rustling and bouncing around. I waved my hand trying to turn on the motion detector light and step closer to take a look. The light didn't come on but something under the plant let out a nice little growl and shot out of there moving pretty quick, straight at me. It pretty much ran right across my feet and into the neighbors yard. After checking and double checking to make sure I hadn't sh## my pants I decided to go ahead out and set the trap.

I told my dad about it the next day and he said that racoons aren't very fast so it couldn't have been that. He figured it was probably just a fox squirrel. Well I've seen plenty of racoons move fast, especially after you pick up the bale of straw their hiding under, and I've never seen a fox squirrel that big, so I don't know. I guess it may have been that proverbial striped ass ape that you hear about every now and again to tell you how fast something was.

I did get my revenge though. I trapped three of them while we finished off our sweet corn and they didn't get any more of it. One of them was kind of upset about being in the trap and desided to take it out on me. He rolled the trap on its side lunging at me as I walked up to it, and proceeded to growl and put on quite a show. Then as I slipped the barrel of a .22 rifle through the wires of the cage he reached out and bit down on the end of the barrel and did his best to make it a carbine. I couldn't think of anything better to do so I pulled the trigger. He let go pretty fast then

Page generated in 0.03577 seconds with 8 queries