Thread: Long Range?
View Single Post
Old October 27, 2008, 12:23 PM   #27
kraigwy

I've done lots AND I MEAN LOTS of long range shooting. But I like to seperate my long range shooting from hunting vs. targets.

I'm not saying I don't do long range shooting while hunting, but its limited.

Most of my elk hunting is with my 270 at limited ranges but I do play around a bit.

An example I determine what is the KE of a given bullet. Then I choose a rifle that will deliver the proper KE at a given range then determine the rifle I will use in a given hunting situation. Best example I can give, I hunt elk in the Big Horns. I like to pick open area above the timberline. Often I'll pick a spot above where people can get their ATV/4 Wheelers. Many people hunt off ATVs or should I say scare elk with ATVs. So I like to pick a likely spot where Elk cross in escaping ATVs. (I use horses). I set up and stay put. I range differant likely spots where critters will cross and make a range card. I set all day and wait. When I hunt like this, like I said I pick a rifle that will deliver the KE needed at extended ranges. When I hunt like this I use my 375. My load for my 375 delivers about the same energy at 400 yards as my 270 does at 200. And I dont hold over, I adjust for elevation. I aim for hair, not air. My 375 shoots a 270 grn bullet as flat and fast as my 1000 yard 30-06 Match Rifle does with 175s. This type of hunting, for me is an exception, not the rule.

Most of my hunting I do is with a 257 Roberts (deer and antelope) and a 270 Win for Elk, and is well under 300 yards. I like to stalk. But I dont like too close of shots. If a critter is spooked, as in shot at 100 yards or so. Its gonna run farther with a brisket shot then if its not spooked, as if its been shot at 200 + yards. Normal when a killing brisket shot is made, the critter humps up, and if not spooked, will run about 20 yards and stop. If its spooked by shooting too close or too often it can run a half mile or further before it dies making it harder to fine.

I'm not adversed to long range hunting, if one knows what he is doing and knows his rifle.

Like Mr Dirty Hairy says. "A man has to know his limitations".

Yeah I agee that there are too many muffed shots with people who dont know what they are doing shooting at extended ranges. But I believe there are far more muffed shots by people shooting at running game. Very few people know how to shoot moving targets. Very few know how. To show what I mean, Figure how fast your bullet travels. Figure you MV and the Velocity at a given range. That will give you an ideal how long it takes you bullet to reach a given target.

Exp: My 270 averages .44 sec to travel 400 yards. An elk runs when spooked about 18 MPH or 26.46 fps. that means one has to provide a maintained lead of 11.76 feet. I believe few people realize this, and fewer yet can comput those number in the head during the few seconds a running critter is in sight.

I guess what I'm saying is that shooting, wheather its hunting or target shooting is more then zeroing a rifle and pulling the trigger.

Both long range shooting and shooting moving targets can be done if one does his homework and 'knows his limitations".

JMHO
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071

Page generated in 0.02054 seconds with 8 queries