View Single Post
Old June 25, 2013, 08:44 AM   #1
Louca

Second Thoughts on Win SXP and Rem 870

I own a Winchester SXP Defender for HD. I have shot it a few times and like it. The action is smooth and the pump stroke is short and fast. At the time I got it, I had also considered the Remington 870 "Express Tactical". (I ruled out the Mossberg 500 because I did not like the way the pump action felt.) After reading several comments here and elsewhere, and handling each of them, I decided on the SXP. I am not sorry about my decision, but I can't help but wonder if I may have been happier with the 870. (That always happens, right?) There were a few posts that had the theme, "my SXP is so much better than my 870 ever was." But then there is this overwhelming fact that the 870 is far more popular than the SXP.

Both are priced the same and the specs are almost the same. The 870 is a little over a pound heaver than the SXP. The SXP has 5+1 capacity whereas the 870 has 6+1. I don't really care about the weight difference since I will not be carrying an HD gun very long. Maybe the extra weight might even be an advantage with respect to recoil. And the 1 round difference in capacity would be nice to have, but is not a big deal for me.

But when it comes to add-ons, the 870 steals the show and the SXP doesn't even exist it seems. I am not planning on putting on any add-ons, but I can't help but wonder why the 870 is so vastly popular. Whenever anyone asks what shotgun to get for HD, the 870 is by far the most recommended. Why? I know, I should just go buy both of them, shoot them for a while, and keep the one I like the best, right? Do any of you have both and like one for a particular reason? Thanks.

Lou

Page generated in 0.02330 seconds with 8 queries