View Single Post
Old January 27, 2013, 01:10 AM   #10
Lost Sheep

Quote:
Also, they tend to throw under what they are supposed to throw.
Yes, they are notorious for meting less than advertised in the table that comes with them.

The technique you use will have a much greater effect on the repeatability than with any other method of powder dispensing. Figuring out what will work for you will take practice. Keeping the manual dexterity skill to do it identically the same way every time takes more practice. Many loaders do not find it worth the trouble. They are doomed to the mechanical or electronic powder measure.

I use the Lee Pro Auto-Disk for mid-range loads for the speed. I got rid of all my powder measures because when I need more accuracy than the Auto-Disk or dippers can give me, I weigh each charge.

Those are my choices. Everyone has their own which I cannot fault. Once you figure out what works best for you, go for it.

Lost Sheep

edit: Lee suggests this dipping technique. Hold the dipper with the cup vertical (insofar as is possible) and push the dipper straight down into a bowl of powder, letting the powder fill the dipper up by falling into it by gravity alone. Lift straight up and strike off the mound of powder with a card.

I normally use this method: Scoop by passing the dipper in a shallow arc, ending with the dipper cup vertical, then tap the handle with my index finger to knock the mound of powder off the dipper.

Lately, I have been experimenting with a third technique. Holding the dipper horizontal, shove the dipper's cup into the bowl and withdraw when the powder mounds up and spills into the cup. Then knock off the excess mounded on top by either of the two methods described above.

Let us know how it goes for you.

Last edited by Lost Sheep; January 27, 2013 at 01:18 AM.

Page generated in 0.03069 seconds with 8 queries