View Single Post
Old June 2, 2012, 11:25 AM   #11
Mr. James

Just took a trip from Dulles (Virginia) to Phoenix, passing through Dallas-Fort Worth. No problems at all either way. I printed out both the TSA web pages, and the airline's firearms policies, and placed them on top of the case, so I'd have them in hand if I ran into any grief. I did not.

At Dulles, the gate agent just walked around a corner to the dedicated TSA x-ray belt just for this purpose. The TSA guy smiled and winked at me and said, "well, I can tell you one thing, it ain't a Glock!" Nope, a 1911.

Phoenix was weird. They took me and the bag to a back room, where a TSA goon swabbed every inch of every seam and pocket of my multi-compartment suitcase. That had me a little nervous because I know nothing at all about that technology, and what it might pick up. He then swabbed the locked pistol case. I guess I passed!

No one asked me to open the case, either way.

Funny story of the first time I checked a handgun, going to Seattle from Dulles. When I declared to the obviously harried gate agent that I had a firearm in my luggage, he slapped down this rather long form. What th'. . ? But, being new to this, I just started filling it out. At one point, I'm asked if I'm transporting a prisoner, and a little farther on, what agency I work for. The guy assumed I was an LEO, and was about to let me board the plane with a pistol on my person. Kewl!

He 'bout stroked out when I gently told him I was just an average Joe trying to check a bag.

All's well that ends well!

Safe travels to you, Eppie, and all the best for your son!

Bob James

"When law and morality contradict each other, the citizen has the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense or losing his respect for the law." —Frederic Bastiat

Page generated in 0.05725 seconds with 8 queries