View Single Post
Old September 18, 2012, 10:44 AM   #2
Lee Lapin

Sorry to mostly answer questions with questions, but...

How 'introductory' do you need the training to be? Lots of folks can teach the basics pretty well. And it helps to know at least what state you're in, in case anyone wants to volunteer lessons...

Are you looking at this from the strictly 'game gun' aspects, or do you want to develop skills around a shotgun you can use for home and self defense in real life as well? Pure "game guns" as a rule are not the sort of thing I for one would choose to use at home for HD. OPMMV...

Only thing wrong with the Mossberg 500s in my book is the magazine design - it's closed on the muzzle end save for the bolt hole that the barrel retaining screw goes into. You have to remove the mag tube from the receiver to pull maintenance on it, which can be a pain. I like pull-through magazine tubes like the ones on the Mossberg 590 (which is why the 590 exists, btw - the military contract demanded a pull-through mag tube). If you don't mind the above, and you like the 500 better than other available offerings, go for it. It will work and should easily outlast your interest in runnin' and gunnin'. Just keep in mind, learning to load the gun is THE essential skill - no magazine is ever big enough.

Attitude and skill will get you through times of no gear, better than gear will get you through times of no attitude and no skill.

Page generated in 0.02588 seconds with 8 queries