Thread: Tokarevs
View Single Post
Old October 11, 2009, 06:41 AM   #10
Mike Irwin
Staff

Some years ago I saw a TT-30 totally trashed by Czech surplus military ammo.

Across the chronograph it was running about (IIRC) 300 fps hotter than the surplus East German stuff the guy had been using earlier.

Turned a nice TT-30, a WW II bring back, into a piece of scrap metal.

There's been a LOT of debate one way or another about the existence of the hot Czech 7.62 subgun ammo. I'd say that 1,600 round pack if not proving its existence, at least went a long way towards confirming it.

Every report I have ever heard of hot ammo has been Czech ammo, ONLY.

At the time the ammo was supposedly produced, the Czech were exercising considerable autonomy from the Soviets in the firearms development field and paying only the barest lipservice to the Soviet lead.

And, as originally produced, 7.62 Tokarev ammunition should be perfectly fine to fire in a 7.63 Mauser-chambered C96. The Tokarev round was a manufacturing variation of the 7.63 Mauser and grew out of efforts to both supply the many thousands of C96 pistols that the Soviets had purchased from Germany in the 1920s, and develop a round that could be easily manufactured to Soviet specifications on Soviet machinery, and was, evidently, slightly LESS powerful than the German ammunition.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.

Page generated in 0.03192 seconds with 8 queries