View Single Post
Old November 17, 2011, 05:53 PM   #79
Hardcase

Quote:
--Does the full faith and credit clause apply in this situation?
No. Or I should say, not anymore, if ever.

Quote:
--Are drivers licenses recognized by other states through their own volition, or did Congress mandate that the states must do so?
It is through their own volition, for the most part, via the Drivers License Compact, which is financed by the Federal government. Not all states are members - reciprocity is not universal.

Quote:
--Will passage of this bill actually hurt anyone, cause states such as CA and NY to regress in gun-owners rights legislation?
Maybe. One could make a case both ways.

Quote:
--What is the proper role of Congress? What is the proper role of SCOTUS? Are these different, and where do the lines fall?
Congress legislates, the Judiciary evaluates the Constitutionality of that legislation (which is a gross oversimplification.)

The driver's license thing is interesting because the assumption is that your driver's license is good around the country. That's not necessarily so, from what I've read. If a state is not a member of the DLC, they are not obliged to recognize your driver's license. What does that mean? In the case of Nevada, for instance, not much. Although not a signatory, they'll accept your license. In another state (whose name escapes me at the moment), they may seize your license unless you post a bond. I suppose that it's at the officer's discretion.

Anyway, all of the debating about driver's licenses in the House was interesting because what universality there is is a result of the states working together to achieve it. And it's not perfect.

Page generated in 0.02555 seconds with 8 queries