Thread: Shaw Barrels
View Single Post
Old January 28, 2013, 08:26 PM   #15
Hunter Customs

I wanted to come back to this thread so I could let everyone that offered suggestions and advice know what my decision is.
I also want to thank everyone again for all the help.

Today I took the rifle I was thinking about rebarreling to my range and did a little shooting with it.
My range lays east and west with me shooting to the east.

There was a 10 to 20 mph cross wind blowing from the south, but I decided to go ahead and do a little shooting with the rifle.
I ended up shooting five different three shot groups ( I know five shot groups are claimed to be better).

The first four of the three shot groups was 5/16 MOA the last one was 9/16 MOA.
I think the last group was partly me, I guess I could not stand success.

My Sierra manual says my load of IMR 4320 pushing their 55 gr HPBT bullet should be leaving the muzzle at a little over 3200 fps.
However I've not taken the time yet to chronograph this load so I can't say that's fact.

My conclusion is I would not gain much (if anything at all) if I rebarreled the gun so I believe I'll leave it as is.
I just might use the money I was going to spend on a new barrel put a little more with it and buy a new rifle.

There's another plus to keeping the rifle with the original barrel.
I have a small truck I drive most of the time, the truck has a shelf where the sunvisors were.
The rifle fits in this shelf perfectly so it's hiden from plain view of anyone walking past the truck.
If I went with the longer barrel I was considering the rifle would no longer be quite so handy.

Again thanks to everyone that came to this thread with advice.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com

Last edited by Hunter Customs; January 28, 2013 at 08:50 PM.

Page generated in 0.04019 seconds with 8 queries