View Single Post
Old January 3, 2011, 11:56 PM   #1
north1

gun safe conundrum

I know, I know it has been covered allot. I my defense I searched this site and others and haven't found a situation particular to mine.

This will be my first gun safe. Have seen alot of them in various places (stores, friends, etc). One thing everyone says they hate is having to empty the safe to get out a particular gun. Any configurations address this better than others?

Location: I live over five miles from a rural fire department in the middle of nowhere. Nearest neighbor is one mile away in one direction and 3+ miles in the other 3. If I was home when the fire started the soonest they could get here is maybe 30 minutes. Obviously if the whole family was away the whole house would go and fire may not be noticed for hours. So is a "fire rated" safe even worth it?

Another possiblity is to place safe in my shop which is a insulated steel framed building kept at 50 degrees year round. It has solid concrete floors and I could use a tractor and loader to get it most of the way in. Bolting it down using concrete anchors would be a breeze. Problem is I have a portable oxy-act torch there which probably would not be a good place to also have a safe.

Garage is out of question as I live in North Dakota with -40 degree winters and 100 degree summers. Just too much temperature flucuation to not have safe in a temperature controlled environment.

As I see it the best place for safe would be upstairs in the portion of my house that has trussed floor joists, or in the finished basement. If in basement I think a safe with humidity control would be important as it can get rather humid there in the summers.

Safes considered: Sturdy, Pendleton, Amsec or Liberty. Nothing but chinese made stuff locally. Would either have to order online or drive 200+ miles to get something of quality. Believe me I have looked locally and nothing but walmart stuff is available.

Well, I think that covers it. Any and all info would be greatly appreciated. Lots of real knowledgable folks on here, so this is the place to get the straight answer. Chime in with anything you think I may have overlooked.

Page generated in 0.03073 seconds with 8 queries