Thread: WHY HUNT ??
View Single Post
Old August 21, 2012, 05:07 PM   #16
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
Why hunt? Because I like to hunt.
I depredation hunt. I don't care about the meat, though I have given hogs to several folks for food. I don't even like the aspect of having to dispatch the animals. However, it has become necessary to do so and the challege to do so in an efficient manner has proven quite interesting. In fact, the whole business has become quite educational from the standpoint of learning about animal physiology and behavior. As such, the task has changed from being rather grim to something positive. It is something I can do, have aspects I have come to enjoy, but would not do if it was not necessary. Of course by law where I am, depredation hunting really isn't "hunting" in terms of a lot of the legal aspects of the game laws and so the due diligence aspects are greatly reduced.

As much as I have found the ancillary aspects of hunting to be so interesting, many people do as well about the whole business of the chase, although few folks seem to go out and do it on their own. I like the aspect that all the decisions are mine to make and not those of the guide.

Quote:
I only hunt deer but I regularly let small and young walk and shoot the biggest I can find, which is generally not very big but still the biggest I can find.
LOL, I have a couple that have been deer hunting my place for 4 years. They will eat what they kill. However, she is after a decent trophy (which won't be terribly big, but will be for my little area) and so she picks out her options at the beginning of the season and those are the bucks she goes after. He won't shoot a deer until she does...so as not to ruin her hunt. So far, they have killed zero deer on my place...waiting on her to get her prize.

Like me, they really enjoy being out and about, but as much as they enjoy watching the critters and such, they would not be there to watch the critters if they were not hunting. Watching critters from the stand is a side benefit and not a primary goal.

Page generated in 0.02699 seconds with 8 queries