View Single Post
Old December 20, 2011, 01:20 PM   #34
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Only had to draw and shoot fast twice in my life. I have no idea what my time was but both times I shot and hit before I even realized I had actually drawn the gun. One time right handed when I had to quickly put down a deer that jumped up and was heading for distant parts after we thought she was dead, that was a right handed draw using a 1911 38 super out of a 1940 style military flap holster. The second I had a broken right arm and I had to draw and shoot left handed at an attacking dog less than 10' from me and closing fast. That was with an open top cowboy style holster with a thong over the hammer for a retaining device.

Both were reaction scenarios that were unexpected with retaining devices in place, flap down and buttoned and the leather loop over the hammer. I don't think fast draw training would have helped me much but an awful lot of practice drawing and shooting for score may have helped me to automatically make a smooth draw.

I have never been able to do a fast draw against the clock or in contest with somebody without losing my gun at least once, usually multiple times. And those games were with the gun loose in the holster and no retaining devices in use. Thank God for Snap Caps. I am a firm believer in the old adage, "The hurrieder you go the behinder you get." and it's corollary "Practice makes perfect."
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--

Page generated in 0.02500 seconds with 8 queries