View Single Post
Old May 7, 2008, 11:17 AM   #12
snuffy

It's darn hard to sense a person's demeanor from the printed word on a forum like this. What I sensed was somebody that didn't want to be bothered with details, was mad at the powder measure, wanted an easy answer. If I was wrong, I hereby apologize.

Quote:
throwing a charge weighing, trickling WHATEVER,
As has been said, varget is about as short cut as extruded powder gets. Most new extruded powders on the market are short cut so they flow through measures well. Some old long cut powders are now offered in short cut.

If your uniflow doesn't handle varget any better than that, then there's something wrong with it, OR you aren't operating it properly. Since you've just started loading, it's possible it just hasn't been properly "broken in". That means a coating of graphite from the powder hasn't had a chance to build up on the inside surfaces. Try this; Run a whole pound of powder through the measure at maximum charge. Or get some powdered graphite at a hardware store and put some inside the measure. You could also be experiencing static cling. The plastic hopper on the measure can accumulate a static charge that interferes with the powder flowing. Take a dryer softener sheet, rub the outside of the measure. The graphite will also help dissipate that charge.

As far as technique, make real sure you are consistent with your throws. Make the same motion against the stops each time. I have a Hornady measure on my dillon 650 for .223. With a case activated linkage, the throws are VERY close. I weighed those throws over a ten shell course, they were within .01 +- with varget!

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?

Page generated in 0.02426 seconds with 8 queries