View Single Post
Old March 28, 2012, 08:55 AM   #4
Adamantium

I don't like using lead data for jacketed loads as lead can be higher than the recommended max for jacketed. Not always but there are examples out there. I'm only talking about powder charges, I'll get to OAL in a sec. And the thing that stumps me is 115 FMJ is a really common bullet, and every load manual covering 9mm should have a load for it. It may not say "FMJ-RN" but nose profile means essentially nothing when it comes to powder charge.

For OAL if you want to use the recommended for LRN, go for it. Other people use a round of factory ammunition, which is fine also. OAL is a guideline, not a rule. Accurates manual says it best,

SPECIAL NOTE ON CARTRIDGE OVERALL LENGTH “COL”
It is important to note that the SAAMI “COL” values are for the firearms and ammunition manufacturers industry and must be seen as a guideline only. The individual reloader is free to adjust this dimension to suit their particular firearm-component-weapon combination. This parameter is determined by various dimensions such as 1) magazine length (space), 2) freebore-lead dimensions of the barrel, 3) ogive or profile of the projectile and 4) position of cannelure or crimp groove.

Page generated in 0.02696 seconds with 8 queries