View Single Post
Old January 5, 2012, 10:15 PM   #1
Washington Doc

Employer Policies the new gun control.

Hello internet,
This is my first posting in any forum and hopefully I'm posting in the correct one as I don't want to get my posting privilages booted for posting incorrectly. Here’s some background for why I’m here and the title of my thread (yes it’s a long read).

The week before Thanksgiving 2011, I was suspended from my work (Safeway Food and Drug, a.k.a; Carrs, Dominick’s, Genuardi’s, Pak’n Save, Pavillions, Randall’s, Simon David, Tom Thumb, and Vons) for a week without pay. I was suspended because I had a firearm with me, as it was MY DAY OFF, while I attended a voluntary company function on their property. The company’s policies state no employee can have firearms with them, which is a no brainer for any large company, but they do not seem to understand when a person is their employee and not. Everybody I know says that you’re an employee when you’re being paid to be one. As it was my day off and I was not being paid to be there, I was not acting as an employee and the policies should not apply to me. Legally carrying a firearm is my right as a civilian.

Safeway’s Legal Division advised the Human Resources Division to suspend me for a week without pay because “. . .one paycheck wouldn’t be worth the court fees.” Sadly this has been true as no lawyer wants to pursue such a case as there is nothing in it for them. Also, I make too much money to qualify for pro-bono organizations.

Now, we all know that 2nd amendment rights only protect civilians from government infringement and that companies can do whatever they want. If I were a business owner I might want the same policy, but I would also know that an employee would have the right to carry a pistol and so I wouldn’t have that policy in the first place. I would expect that an American founded company that has its headquarters in America would at least respect the U.S. Constitution, not make a mockery of it. Then again, I also expect them to pay their taxes properly, but when has a giant corporation last done that?

As I see it; the United States Government wanted to control people back in the day (and yes, still today) but we were protected by a thing called the Constitution. Well, the people in charge got tired of not being able to control people, so they made corporations do the dirty work for them. Company Policies and Procedure manuals allow the few people in charge to control the rights of the many beneath them. It’s hard to simply ignore your employer and risk being fired as we all need to shelter and feed ourselves and families. Still, if it’s happened to me, it’s probably happened to many other people by many other corporations. Simply swept under the rug.

Seeing as I can get no legal help I’ve had to start contacting the media, internet, and of course the NRA. Will my story ever be published in a newspaper or aired on local news? Probably not, since Safeway’s lawyers will attack any news company for defamation or some kind of legal B.S. To the NRA, I’ve simply asked for a way to contact as many people as I can (such as a forum on the internet . . . the last place to speak freely) to organize a boycott of Safeway and its subsidiaries.

And before I get a bunch of replies about boycotting going nowhere because we might as well boycott every big corporation and we’ll all live in caves or starve to death, let me just say I was only talking about a single grocery cycle boycott. Anytime anybody would shop for grogeries (weither their cycles be monthly, weekly, or daily) just shop anywhere else. A small locally owned business would be preferable.

I am an NRA member along with 4.3 million other people and I think that boycotting a store chain is the only peaceful way of defending our rights. Lawyers have already said it’s out of their hands and it’s not a federal thing, so what can we do? I think that 4.3 million people NOT shopping somewhere would hamper their profits enough to make them think twice about their policies. If they don’t want to change them, then the company can collapse and new businesses can move in, isn’t that what America is about anyways?

One united mass of people can sway multi-billion dollar industries if it wants to. Do you think Ford would exist if they sold ZERO cars year after year? Or any big store selling Chinese made goods? Any company that outsources its personnel overseas? If the future holds no small businesses, no entrepreneurs, and only giant corporations that face us with a “no guns or you’re fired” mentality, then we as civilians might as well throw our guns in the trash. Your gun does you no good if it’s at home and you’re getting mugged in your employer’s parking lot. Heck I’m a pharmacist and can get robbed on the job at any time by some junkie wanting pain pills. You’d think I’d be allowed to carry a firearm, but not with my employer.

So how about it, any other views on how to peacefully change Corporate-America to accept the 2nd amendment? It’s no longer the United States of America, it’s Corporate-America and I want to change it back.

-Washington Doc.

Page generated in 0.02984 seconds with 8 queries