View Single Post
Old October 5, 2011, 10:11 PM   #12
James K
Member In Memoriam

First, it is not a Type 38 or a Type 99, even a late war model. The receiver opening and magazine are far too small for either the 6.5 or 7.7 cartridge. Further, even the last production Type 99's had the standard bolt, with locking lugs on the front and a standard extractor. The opening is large enough for the 6.5 blank cartridge, which is one reason I tagged it as a training rifle, though cruder than most I have or have seen.

But after doing some checking, I think it possible that that rifle could be a "last ditch" rifle. By that I mean not a late Type 99 (like Old 454 refers to), but one made for the 8mm Nambu pistol cartridge. There were several designs and I don't have one so I am going by pictures, but there is some resemblance, especially in the stamped trigger guard. There were not many made, though, and I have only seen two, neither of which looked exactly like that one.

Neither a training rifle nor a "last ditch" would have a "mum" on the receiver, so it would not have been ground off. The bluing and finish, under the rust, look too good to be on a "last ditch" rifle, so I'll stick with a training rifle for the moment.

Maybe someone more expert can help.

Jim

Page generated in 0.03624 seconds with 8 queries