View Single Post
Old December 20, 2013, 09:19 PM   #1
Bigfatts

Late Start on the Season and a Little Superstition

Thanks to some family problems, tomorrow is my first day of hunting season this year. Can't wait to get back in the woods. Anybody else have a late start on the season?

I've got kind of a funny feeling this year. Since I started hunting I've always carried the same knife. With that knife I've cleaned every animal I've ever killed- hog, squirrel, you name it. I was young and knew nothing about knives at the time so I left Wal Mart with a $20-something Gerber. And it's a terrible knife. Soft unknown steel, terrible sheath, etc. So the last few years my obsession has been knives. I have acquired dozens of knives and a few months ago I decided to replace the old Gerber with something that wouldn't go dull when I pointed it at a hog. So I ended up with 2 knives: A WRKT Knucklehead for the skinning and a Muela Rhino for the butchering and general purpose things. The S30V on the WRKT should hold its edge long enough to skin a hog and the Muela is Sandvik which is a good compromise between edge retention and ease of sharpening. It is also an incredibly comfortable knife.

Anyways, I'm not usually superstitious but I kind of have a funny feeling about ditching the Gerber, kind of like I'm jinxing myself. But I will keep it in the hunting pack as a backup/spare.

Getting all packed up and ready to go Winchester 1894 Big Bore .375 Win and High Standard Model 29 .22lr:

Page generated in 0.02292 seconds with 8 queries