Thread: Goose loads?
View Single Post
Old April 22, 2001, 01:27 AM   #3
labgrade
Member In Memoriam

You may want to be certain of federal waterfowl hunting regs. I do believe that you MUST use non-toxic shot for any waterfowl - could be wrong - & do also check for max shot size allowed. Some strange fed regs about waterfowl.

(Quick digression - a local (Boulder, CO & no! I won't live there!) got a fed-fine for chasing a goose = "harrassing federally protected waterfowl" - some take this serious.)

We have local Canada geese that you just about have to kick outa the way so as to go about your business. I'd think that the "nuisance-types" aren't going to be way out there or too wary - big difference versus the wild geese.

It may be that you could walk up within 10 yds or so, pop the first (with any legal non-toxic shot - do check the regs) & still do anther two (3-round limit shell capacity) whilst they're taking flight & still way close.

Always best to pattern your shotgun with whatever you'll use (I've only bothered with turkey loads BTW) but the non-toxics seem to shoot tighter than does lead shot. Probably get away with a modified choke using steel.

If I had my druthers, I'd use a extra full turkey choke w/2 oz #4 (shot, not buck) lead - but can't. Agin the fed-stuff.

BTW, slugs WILL kill geese.

Page generated in 0.02266 seconds with 8 queries