View Single Post
Old March 23, 2008, 08:24 PM   #8
Raider2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingers McGee
If you're going to shoot it any amount at all, you need to either reload it yourself, or find someone to do it for you.

At $30+ a box for 44-40s, the cost of reloading saves boucoup bucks. Even with the price of primers, powder and bullets going up, I can load BP or sub rounds for a lot less than $10.00 a box. A 66%+ savings is rather significant wouldnt you say. Once you've reloaded the brass - it doesnt cost anymore. Even with the "hard to load bottleneck cases" I get more than 15 reloads before they split. I lose a lot more at the range than split or get crunched during loading. I've still got some cases that I'm reloading that are going on 10 years old.

I loaded for many years using an RCBS RockChucker single stage press before I picked up a used Hornady L-N-L progressive. And I still use my Pawn Shop bought Lee Loadall in 12 ga for my BP shotgun rounds.

The Dillon spray lube works great. Lay 100 cases on an opened papeer grocery bag, spritz the lube on,give em a half turn & spritz again. Use a pair of cotton or knit gloves to handle the cases. Keeps your hands clean & dry, and as you handle the cases and put them in boxes, wipes off the excess lube.
I'm in agreeance 100%, my .44-40 doesn't know what a factory cartridge feels like unless some one decided to buy me a box or two for Christmas or Birthday so it gets 99% BP reloads & likes it.

I have a freind that had bought a BFG .45-70 revolver "he doesn't hunt so don't ask cuse I don't know" & after the second box at $28.00 for 20 rds. he started complainig about the cost & I introduced him to reloading, now he reloads his brass for less than half the new ammo cost & has taylored it to what he wants it to do at 50 yards.

As far as keeping it authentic, that is a personal call, I've had my Colt .44-40 for almost 15 years but I had gotten it a great deal back then or I might have gone with a Clone.

Page generated in 0.02441 seconds with 8 queries