Thread: Antique ammo
View Single Post
Old July 30, 2009, 07:16 PM   #7
Logjam

I have fired many thousands of rounds of WWI and WWII antique rounds. When I was a kid the stuff was all over the place and it was very cheap.

So I've shot boat loads of MK VII 303 rounds, and an equal number of 8mm Mauser rounds. Also 7.65 Argentine rounds, and Swiss rounds and Eqyptian ammo.

All except some 8mm Lebel fired pretty well. I got hang fires with some 8mm Mauser, others too, from time to time. Jap rounds hanged fire too. But they were very old.

So I suggest you shoot your old rounds, but beware of hang fires or duds. Wait a good minute to eject a dud/misfire. Sometimes I reload it and it shoots, but I only do that once, and it's probably not all that smart.

Remember; almost all old rounds are very corrosive. Especially those armor piercing 30-06 rounds. Mine were Federals, headstamped 54 and they rusted a bore badly. Luckily I got to it soon enough and cleaned the dickens out of it.

I used to shoot old Canadian 577 Snider rounds. I had a friend who fired an entire case of old balloon head .45 Colt black powder rounds. Too bad, as they are worth probably $5 @ today.

So shoot the old rounds, make sure they fit your rifle as sometimes it's hard to tell. If you are not absolutely sure; then don't shoot them.....EVER. You can remove your face.

Page generated in 0.02524 seconds with 8 queries