View Single Post
Old September 1, 2013, 03:24 PM   #1
DavidAGO

My trip to the range cut short today

I had the afternoon off, or at least I had no projects I decided I absolutely had to work on this afternoon. I decided it was time to take the new AR-15 to the range. The instructions said to break it in by running a cleaning brush through the barrel after each of the first 25 shots, so I decided this hot afternoon would probably find me alone at the range.

It was so until after 11 of the 25 shots. Then a gentleman and (I assume) his two grandchildren came up with a .22 rifle and a couple of pistols. It was apparent he was going to show them how to shoot. They set up at the other end of the line. It was also apparent after a little bit that they had no ear protection. I asked if they did, the grandfather said no, they didn't need any, it was just a .22. I did not even have any of the foam ear protectors on me, so I had no ear protection to offer them. I just packed it up and came home, no need to leave those kids with their ears ringing for hours afterward.

I usually carry a few of the foam protectors with me; I have run into the same scenario before. I like to be a good range neighbor and to hopefully not let the lack of ear protection keep a youngster from shooting. It got me to thinking about what I do carry to the range with me, and I decided to make sure I carry some of the ear protectors and eye protection on future visits.

What do you do in such a situation? does anyone else carry extras in case you run across someone who is not knowledgeable enough to be prepared? Do you try and talk with them about proper range protection? Give them a lecture? Just quietly leave? This is a public (city owned) range without any on-site supervision.

David

Page generated in 0.02564 seconds with 8 queries