View Single Post
Old July 9, 2012, 10:40 AM   #31
HJ857

Quote:
Looking at your targets, what would you say "worked" for you and what didn't? As you say, all three runs looked pretty good, and the average group size barely varies between the three. From those targets, I don't think I could draw any conclusions about the effects of either the FCD or of uniforming the primer pockets, leaving me right back where I started.
I think the AR itself is the overriding factor. I would expect different results if a bolt gun was used. But again, I'd still test all the variables possible and pick and choose the best combinations, and that certainly includes testing the FCD.

For my AR's I like the idea of a more secure hold on the bullet. I'm pretty careful about how I load, but I'm kind of sloppy about my storage and how much I bang them around at competitions. I store on stripper clips and put those in coffee cans, I love those blue Maxwell House cans.

If the FCD does not prove itself a liability then I'll keep using it. Most of the time my results show that the FCD either does nothing or very little to influence accuracy (or lack of).

I used to load for a Grendel and the FCD did reduce accuracy notably. Across the board if I recall correctly. That upper had the closest thing to a precision chamber of all my uppers, and that is interesting.

On the other hand, I also used to have a Model 1 NM upper. 5.56 chamber, 1:9. That thing was a laser and really loved light bullets with a crimp. So I don't know. I don't have any answers, only what works out of my rifles.

Page generated in 0.02909 seconds with 8 queries