View Single Post
Old March 9, 2009, 05:11 AM   #17
guntotin_fool

before you become an item on the evening news I have to ask. Have you ever cooked anything? Have you ever cleaned a fish? Cleaning a rabbit is the same process. I don't want to take you from your trip because that is how you learn but maybe find someone who is an experienced camper to lead the first time.

Mosquito spray does work on chiggers very well. I had good luck with a two phased attack. I bought "frontline" pet treatment and ran a bead of that around the ankles of my shoes and boots. I also wore flea collars on my ankles. People laughed but in three days of walking in Alabama quail fields not one tick not one chigger. Try it at home before you to just to make sure you're not sensitive to it.

Bring food options. You can buy good stuff at the grocery store like pouches of tuna and chicken that need no refrigeration. Also treat yourself. Buy some big ole steaks and freeze them hard. On the morning you leave wrap them in a pair of clean wool socks and drop them in your bag. By supper they will be about 80% defrosted and will taste great.

The method described above works well but instead of smashing leg bones pull the skin down until the joints are exposed then just cut the tendons with a knife. The joint just come apart then. Bring a good fixed small knife with a three inch or so knife. Bring a good folder as back up and have some sort of way to resharpen the knife. One of those folding pocket diamond stones will be fine.

Last edited by guntotin_fool; March 9, 2009 at 05:18 AM.

Page generated in 0.02497 seconds with 8 queries