View Single Post
Old August 30, 2007, 02:46 AM   #14
Bill Akins

Crosshair Senior Member wrote..."Question for you, how well do the 50 round teardrop drum magazines work? Nice work all around on the guns."

Thanks Crosshair. Glad you like them. The 50 rd MWG (also known as "Mitchel mag") teardrop mag works fine for me. The only weak thing about it is its rear cover plastic latch. It is just a tab of plastic on the cover that bends to fit into a slot on the mag body. Mine broke the first time I tried to open the cover. I keep it together with a rubberband though and it works fine that way. Sometimes I have even fired it without the rubber band and just relied on the friction of the closeness of the cover fitting snugly to keep it from coming apart. No problems with feeding. If they put a small toolbox style latch on it instead of that weak plastic tab it would be perfect. I plan to get a small latch and epoxy one of its sides to the mag body and the other side to the cover so I can have a reliable latch instead of using my rubber band. I suggested this to the manufacturer when I called them. They offered to replace it but the latch is destined to break and it would just happen again, so I kept mine and use a rubber band until I can epoxy a small latch onto it.

Go to my very first post in this thread, scroll down until you see the link for videos of me test firing my prototypes and look for the video of me firing the 1919 style one outside. That is the MWG teardrop mag I'm using. Rarely any problems with it. Usually stoppages are the ammo itself not the mag with the MWG. The only three 50rd choices for the 10-22 you have are the ramline double stack mag which frequently jams (I have one), the tommy gun style drum Pro mag, and the MWG teardrop mag. Of the three the MWG is the best all round in my opinion. The pro mag had feeding problems at first and I have heard they have fixed that, but it is much more bulky than the teardrop MWG for the same capacity and will not work in my tripod mounted guns because of its size. What we really need is a belt feed. I'll be working on it.

Page generated in 0.03427 seconds with 8 queries