View Single Post
Old August 29, 2007, 03:02 PM   #7
Bill Akins

[Abndoc Senior Member wrote....
"What fun! I love this kind of creativity. And welcome to TFL."]

Thanks Abndoc. Bill

[ NCLivingBrit Member wrote....
Very nice indeed. If only you could hook the BMF cranks to a motor (which would be -so- illegal it hurts I think) and work out some sort of hopper feed.
With .22LR it wouldn't be too painful on the pocket to be dumping whole boxes of ammo into the coffee grinder]

Thanks NCLivingBrit.
I have considered turning it upside down and using a gravity fed hopper ala early gatling gun style. But the rim on the 22 cartridge creates feeding problems when stacked in a hopper without a spring to hold tension on them, unless they are stacked one on top of the other in a vertical line, and with the uppermost cartridge's rim always behind the below cartridge. Dropping them into a hopper would not insure that alignment like it does when you load them into a magazine. Then when the rim of the uppermost cartridge slipped over and in front of the rim of the cartridge under it, it would jam when feeding. Also the hopper would have to be banana curved because of the rims. Just not viable with the 22's rim. Would work great with a rimless 22 rimfire. Always wondered why they didn't come out with that. Just like a rimless 45 acp, which has a rim but is called rimless because it don't protrude beyond the case diameter. Attaching an electric motor to the crankfire is definately illegal.

I have also considered that upside down style system for a recoil operated semi auto 20 gauge gatling crank style operated watercooled shotgun and I don't think there would be any rim problems like with the .22 cartridge (Staying away from the 12 gauge over 50 bore destructive device trap). I don't think there would be a problem loading those big cartridge shells from a vertical gravity fed hopper, but I would have to closely inspect their rims before saying that for sure. Loaded with 00 buck that would be some tripod mounted crank operated firepower. I might just attempt that one day.
Another thing I have considered is two ruger 10-22's side by side sharing the same waterjacket for cooling both barrels that would look like the Gardner crank operated gun of the late 19th and early 20th century that competed with the gatling. I would need a shell deflector for the left gun though to keep it from ejecting shells into the right gun's side, and would deflect the left guns emptly shells downward. Might attempt that one day too. Bill.

[ SCREAMIII2006 Senior Member wrote....
Hey I wasn't knocking you, In fact you have some real talent in the shop.
Those are nice looking replicas.
I wish I had the time,the place and skills to do something like that.
Maxims are frowned upon in the burbs.]

Thanks ScreamIII2006. I didn't think you were knocking me at all. It's just that some of my ideas and inventions might seem a bit outlandish and extreme so sometimes I am almost self deprecating and preempting such as when I said...."Now before you think I'm totally nuts". Bill.

Bye the way, I had to copy and paste the above replies from folks into this message to get their quotes. Is there a "quote" button here so I can respond with it automatically showing the quote of the person I am responding to? I use the "quote" button at other sites but I did not see it here.

Page generated in 0.02167 seconds with 8 queries